Wicked Books

Meine Rezensionen und noch vieles mehr, was mit Büchern oder auch ohne sie auskommt, ist in meinem Blog behind the cover zu finden. Schaut doch mal vorbei!

The One that got away comes back

You Had Me At Hello - Mhairi McFarlane

Title: You had me at Hello

Author: Mhairi McFarlane

Publisher: AVON

Content: The book starts with Rachel dumping her fiancé Rhys and ends with... Just a joke. Of course I am not telling you how the book ends.

The book really starts with  Rachel dumping her fiancé after thirteen years of being together. She moves out of their house and into a life she is not used to. Thirteen years with the same man never made it necessary for her to actually have a flat of her own and feel alone. Luckily her friends Caroline, Mindy and Ivor are always at her site.

One day Caroline comes along with the news that she saw Ben in the library. Rachel can't believe it. She always thought that she would never see him again. They after all didn't see each other for ten years after being best friends at university.

She finds him in the lirary exactly as Caroline had told her. And that's the first of many meeting as the old friendship comes back to life.

My opinion: When I bought that book I thought it could be a good one. The text on the back kind of reminded me of my own story. But because it is a book and not real life I had the hope that it would end in another way than my story did.

Becausemy life took a similar turn as Rachel's I think it is a realitic idea for a story. What Mhairi McFarlane made out of it is quite fantastic.

Every now and than there was a chapter which was a flashback to the time of the university life where Ben and Rachel's friendship is descriped. This way the reader not only was informed by the characters of what happend ten years back but can live that time as well and can understand some things better. I liked that solution of telling the reader of what happend during the university years.

Rachel is a great character. With every chapter the readers has the chance to get to know her better. Especially in the flashback chapters her motives become clear.

Ben on the other hand always was a character I never could warm up with. He still is a mystery. But I think that was the purpuse of the author. He is not the main character after all.

I grant 5 out of 5 points. I liked the story very much even though I did not like most of the characters. Still I think Rachel is the most important and so I just see her when it comes to the character point. Otherwise it may would be just 4,5 points.

Quelle: http://heelstohead.blogspot.de/2014/12/you-had-me-at-hello.html