behind the cover

Meine Hobbys sind Lesen, Lesen und Schreiben. Das Ergebnis dieser beiden findet sich hier wieder. Neben Rezensionen der von mir gelesenen Bücher gibt es auch meine Erfahrungen auf dem Weg zu dem ersten von mir verfassten Roman. Autorin werden ist schließlich mein Kindheitstraum - Zeit das der sich erfüllt.

A Game of Thrones

(A Game of Thrones) By Martin, George R. R. (Author) mass_market Published on (08 , 1997) - George R. R. Martin

Title: A Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire 1

Author: George RR Martin

Publisher: Bantam Books

Text on the back

In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the North of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each edeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

My opinion

What I say:

I have to confess that I saw the first season of the TV-series before I even read one word in this book. That’s why I alredy knew the basics of what would happen. But there is still so much more happening in the book the TV-series isn’t mentioning. So I got surprised by the plot every now and then. I particularly liked the description of the places. It’s so picturesque.

I bought this book before I watched the TV-series. That’s why I had some expectations about the plot. Those were that this is a book which drags the reader into a world full of intrigues and power struggles.
Then I watched the TV series and was shocked about the details when it comes to fights and bloodshed. I was clear that I couldn’t read the book if it was anything near it. In my had I already had a plan for smuggling the book onto my brothers bookshelf. He loves books with such details. Luckily my fears weren’t confirmed once I started reading the book. When it comes to blood thirsty scenes the details describtion is down on a minimusm.

What I liked best about this book is the fact that it’s told from many perspectives. Every character tells his own story and because they are all interconnected the story of the book actually happens. It’s a way to tell a story that I have never entcountered before and I really like it.
What I also liked about this way of telling the story is that it builds constant tension. When one chapter comes to an end the reader can’t wait what happens to that character next. But in order to do so other chapters of other characters have to be read.

At some points I had the feeling that the scenes became gassy. I won’t say that negative because that most of the time happened when I knew the scene from the TV series already. So I can’t jugde properly here. We have to wait for the next book from this series to see if it’s true or not.

Conclusion:

In the beginning I was scepical wheather I would like the book or not. But the truth is I would like to start with the second book immediately. For this book that means 5 of 5 points.

What I liked best about this book is the fact that it's told from many perspectives. Every character tells his own story and because they are all interconnected the story of the book actually happens. It's a way to tell a story that I have never entcountered before and I really like it.
What I also liked about this way of telling the story is that it builds constant tension. When one chapter comes to an end the reader can't wait what happens to that character next. But in order to do so other chapters of other characters have to be read.

At some points I had the feeling that the scenes became gassy. I won't say that negative because that most of the time happened when I knew the scene from the TV series already. So I can't jugde properly here. We have to wait for the next book from this series to see if it's true or not.
br> In the beginning I was scepical wheather I would like the book or not. But the truth is I would like to start with the second book immediately. For this book that means 5 of 5 stars.

Quelle: http://coverworlds.wordpress.com/2014/06/29/a-game-of-thrones

Ich lese gerade

Das Schwert der Todlosen Königin (Der Schatz der gläsernen Wächter 2)
Dane Rahlmeyer